Sunday, July 20, 2008

Faves: Fight Club



Every man, young or old, gay or straight, wants to be like Tyler Durden. At least a little bit. He represents something we all feel we have lost in one way or another. I've read that only three species have active, ongoing co-operation between unrelated males. Chimpanzees, dolphins and humans. Male competition is much older and more ingrained than co-operation. We have to conquer elemental impulses to sit in meetings, stand in lines and get screwed by our cell phone companies. It's not a big deal 99% of the time. But Tyler reminds us of what we give up. Not that any sane man would want to actually live like that. Its just the idea that intrigues.
All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

Anyway, the movie is terrific although it gets a bit squishy towards the end. I'm guessing this is one of those movies that is way better than the book. The DVD commentary is excellent.
This is my favorite movie from the last 10 years.